In the past few years, the Fighting Game Community has been fortunate enough to witness the rise of multiple professional world tours. But COVID-19 has put all of those tours on hold, thereby removing a significant source of support for the community. Ryan “Saint Cola” Collins, a Chicago-area writer and commentator, recently took to Twitter to ask how FGCers are supporting their scene in these trying times.
So let’s say ALL of the tours get cancelled. Like, absolute worst case scenario. What are your plans to keep the FGC healthy and alive during the downtime?
— Ｓａｉｎｔ Ｃｏｌａ (@_saintcola) April 2, 2020
So far, the community has responded with a wide range of answers, including:
- Organizing, competing in, and commentating for online tournaments
- Streaming training sessions and ranked/casual online play
- Creating video, audio, and/or written content: match analyses, event recaps, memes, interviews, podcasts, game theories, etc.
- Donating to events
- Sharing FGC content in both FGC-specific and non-FGC-specific gaming forums
- Helping other players work through matchups or other challenges
If you have something good to add to the list – or even if you need something that you haven’t been able to find recently – tell Collins by tweeting him @_saintcola. Make sure that you follow him, and make sure that you tag @toptiergg, too, so that we can help you out. Together, we can keep the FGC going strong!